A 91-year-old woman in Thailand finally obtained a bachelor’s degree after studying more than ten years. This Thai senior citizen proves that it’s never too late to get an education.
Kimlan Jinakul received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Human and Family Development from the government-run Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University located outside Bangkok, according to the Associate Press (AP) based on information from the country’s public television broadcaster Thai PBS.
Thailand’s King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun handed Jinakul’s diploma on Wednesday. Maha Vajiralongkorn succeed to the throne after the death of his father–the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej last year. The members of the Royal Family traditionally hands out diplomas to graduating students in the country’s public universities.
Kimlan said, “If we do not study, do not read, do not know, then we won’t be able to speak and make sense.” She added, “I am happy and honored that the king has graciously shown such limitless mercy.”
The 91-year-old woman and her family traveled 450 miles from their home in Phayao province north of Bangkok to attend her graduation ceremony.
Her son, Monkol Jinakul said Kimlan sometimes “felt weary because of her body.” He added, “We as her children tried to cheer her on and mom studied until the end and it was a success.”
The Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University is offering courses for the elderly. The university has 199 elderly students with more than 60 years. It offers part-time and remote learning.
Professor Panumas Kadngaongam, the acting dean of the university said, “For the elderly, we focus on practicality rather than the academic aspect. So the subject can be studied and put to use immediately.”
- Woman stuck in swimming pool rescued by Facebook group - August 19, 2017
- Time Traveler: a record-breaking roller coaster to open in Missouri in 2018 - August 18, 2017
- Audrey Hepburn survives starvation in World War II eating tulip bulbs - August 17, 2017
- Diamond engagement ring lost for 13 years found on a garden carrot - August 17, 2017
- Motorcycle enthusiast produces gin using vintage Harley-Davidson parts - August 16, 2017
- Japanese sake-house employs monkey waiters - August 16, 2017
- Silent Song Gains Popularity on iTunes as it Solves Listeners’ Problem - August 16, 2017
- Town in Belgium celebrates giant omelet festival amid egg scare in Europe - August 15, 2017
- Ohio woman gets COVFEFE vanity license plate for her Subaru Outback - August 15, 2017
- British man uses pizza delivery to locate missing 4-year-old girl - August 15, 2017