Arnold Schwarzenegger decided not to return as host of NBC’s The New Celebrity Apprentice for another season. The actor and former California governor already informed the TV network about his decision.
“I loved every second of working with NBC and Mark Burnett. Everyone — from the celebrities to the crew to the marketing department — was a straight 10, and I would absolutely work with all of them again on a show that doesn’t have this baggage,” said Schwarzenegger in a statement.
The actor was referring to President Donald Trump, who hosted the Celebrity Apprentice for a long time and became a reality-TV star.
Separately, Schwarzenegger told Empire that the reports that the TV program lost most of its sponsors are true. According to him, advertisers are leaving because Trump is still involved in The New Celebrity Apprentice.
He said, “When people found out that Trump was still involved as executive producer and was still receiving money from the show, then half the people [started] boycotting it.”
Schwarzenegger added that NBC did everything to promote the show, and “everyone was caught off guard” that the boycott will happen. In October last year, the #GrabYourWallet Movement started a social media campaign encouraging consumers and sponsors to boycott companies doing business with the Trump family.
The New Celebrity Apprentice recorded a bad rating (1.3) in the 18-49 demographics with 4.93 million viewers.
Schwarzenegger pointed out everyone is telling him that they love the show, but “turned it off” as soon as they read Trump’s name.
“Even if asked [to do it again] I would decline. With Trump being involved in the show people have a bad taste and don’t want to participate as a spectator or as a sponsor or in any other way support the show. It’s a very divisive period now, and I think this show got caught up in all that division,” said Schwarzenegger.
Trump mocked Schwarzenegger
Trump mocked Schwarzenegger at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington due to the poor rating of The New Celebrity Apprentice and called the show a “total disaster.”
“They hired a big, big movie star, Arnold Schwarzenegger, to take my place, and we know how that turned out. The rating went right down the tubes. It’s been a total disaster. I just wanna just pray for Arnold if we can for those ratings okay,” said Trump while laughing.
Aside from his remarks during the event, Trump also tweeted, “Wow, the ratings are in, and Arnold Schwarzenegger got “swamped” (or destroyed) by comparison to the ratings machine, DJT. So much for….”
Schwarzenegger posted a video on Twitter in response to Trump’s attack. He suggested that they should switch jobs.
“Hey Donald, I have a great idea. Why don’t we switch jobs? You take over Tv since you’re such an expert in ratings and I take over you job so people can finally sleep comfortably again.”
- Apollo 11 lunar sample return bag used by Neil Armstrong sells for $1.8M - July 20, 2017
- Coffee company recalls product with traces of Viagra-like substance - July 20, 2017
- Deadpool actor Ryan Reynolds granted a dying boy’s greatest wish - July 20, 2017
- Milan bans selfie stick and other anti-social behaviors this summer - July 20, 2017
- The Earth is heading toward a plastic planet says ecologist - July 19, 2017
- Chinese woman caught smuggling 102 iPhones strapped to her body - July 19, 2017
- Angelica Hale: 9-year-old kidney transplant survivor earns golden buzzer on America’s Got Talent - July 19, 2017
- Madonna seeks to stop auction of her highly personal items, DNA - July 18, 2017
- Sony Pictures achieves record for largest gathering of people dressed as emoji faces - July 18, 2017
- Finland sets new record for the world’s largest number of naked swimmers - July 18, 2017