A mall in China introduced husband rest pods equipped with video games to keep them from becoming bored while their wives or girlfriends are shopping.
The Global Harbor mall in Shanghai built four husband rest pods, each has a chair, monitor, computer, and gamepad, according to The Paper.
Chinese men who do not want to be dragged around by their girlfriends or wives to the shops have the option to spend time at the husband storage pods for free. They can stay there and enjoy playing retro games.
Staff at the Global Harbor mall said the service is free for now. In the future, users will use their smartphones to scan a QR code and pay a small fee to be able to use the husband storage pods to play video games.
Several men tried the husband rest pods and commented that it was a good idea. A person identified as Mr. Yang said he played Tekken 3 and felt as if he was back at school. “Really great,” he said.
Another man named Mr. Wu agreed with Mr. Yang. He said he does not want to accompany his girlfriend shopping and sometimes he would find a place to sit, a movie to watch or play on his phone. His girlfriend feels upset. The availability of the husband rest pods is great because he can spend his time there while his girlfriend is shopping, said Mr. Wu.
Mr. Wu also commented that the service needs is not perfect and needs some improvements including ventilation or air conditioning. According to him he sat and played for five minutes and was sweating.
Chinese women have mixed reactions to the husband rest pods. Some said it is helpful to keep their husbands entertained and prevent them from saying their “tired” shopping and wanting to go home immediately. Others say if they are finished shopping and their husband are not finished playing video games, they’ll end up waiting.
Mall staff said the husband rest pods are still in the trial stage. Manufacturers are expected to put up a perfect version and will charge a fee.
The Global Harbor mall’s husband rest pods have become a popular topic on Weibo and other Chinese social media. Several users are asking, “Why couldn’t men just stay at home and play video games?” If they don’t want to spend time shopping with their girlfriends or wives, they can just say I’d rather stay at home and do something else.
- Apollo 11 lunar sample return bag used by Neil Armstrong sells for $1.8M - July 20, 2017
- Coffee company recalls product with traces of Viagra-like substance - July 20, 2017
- Deadpool actor Ryan Reynolds granted a dying boy’s greatest wish - July 20, 2017
- Milan bans selfie stick and other anti-social behaviors this summer - July 20, 2017
- The Earth is heading toward a plastic planet says ecologist - July 19, 2017
- Chinese woman caught smuggling 102 iPhones strapped to her body - July 19, 2017
- Angelica Hale: 9-year-old kidney transplant survivor earns golden buzzer on America’s Got Talent - July 19, 2017
- Madonna seeks to stop auction of her highly personal items, DNA - July 18, 2017
- Sony Pictures achieves record for largest gathering of people dressed as emoji faces - July 18, 2017
- Finland sets new record for the world’s largest number of naked swimmers - July 18, 2017