A person has “passed gas” on an American Airlines plane Sunday afternoon, which usually wouldn’t be newsworthy had the smell not been so pungent that it made all passengers sick and forced them all off the flight, officials said.
According to a spokesperson for Raleigh-Durham International Airport, the incident happened when the passengers on the jet became ill with nausea and headaches. The flight, which was not identified by RDU officials, landed on the airstrip around 4 p.m. when the incident was reported.
All the passengers were taken off the plane and, after the incident was investigated, it was concluded that the panic was caused by a passenger who “passed gas,” the official said.
The International Business Times reported the sick man “broke wind so violently it caused nausea and headaches among his fellow passengers”, citing a US airport official as its source.
“The resulting smell was so noxious that fellow passengers became ill and were rushed off the flight,” an RDU employee reportedly told CBS South Carolina.
Authorities later said that the incident was a “medical call” and directed all questions to Wake County EMS. RDU officials did not identify where the plane was going and where from or what type of aircraft was involved.
American Airlines officials Sunday night said that an aircraft had an odor issue but denied it was because of “passed gas.”
Ross Feinstein, a spokesman for the airline, released a statement that said in part:
“We did have an aircraft from Charlotte to RDU this afternoon, that landed at 2:19 p.m. ET, and arrived the gate at 2:21 p.m. ET, that is currently out of service for an actual mechanical issue – and odor in the cabin. But It is not due to “passed gas” as mentioned.”
This is hardly the strangest thing to ever happen on a plane. Unusual situations included a flight attendant breaking a wine bottle over passenger’s head and one pilot even urged passengers to pray after the plane had to turn around.
- Navy destroyer USS John S. McCain collides with oil tanker, 10 sailors missing - August 21, 2017
- German man swims to work to avoid traffic congestion - August 10, 2017
- Saudi Arabia jails singer for dabbing during concert - August 9, 2017
- South Carolina police issues a plea to residents not to shoot Bigfoot - August 9, 2017
- Man disguises himself as car seat, pretends to be ‘self-driving car’ - August 8, 2017
- Irish MP blames fairy curse for problems with road - August 8, 2017
- Chinese restaurant gives discounts based on bra size - August 8, 2017
- Airport offers service for transporting maids to employers’ doors - August 7, 2017
- Airbnb refuses to provide accommodation for Nazis - August 7, 2017
- Prince of Denmark refuses to be buried by his wife due to title row - August 4, 2017