A Swedish man considers himself very lucky last week as he finally spotted and captured a video of the rare white elk in Eda, western Sweden.
Hans Nilson had been trying to trying to catch a glimpse of the rumored white elk in the region for several years. He finally saw the animal for the first time last week.
In fact, he encountered the animal twice. During his second encounter, Nilson captured a video of the white elk while taking a dip in a local lake. His video of the rare white elk, which he posted on Facebook, became viral.
In an interview with The Local, Nilson said, “This white elk bull is local to the area. I saw it the evening before too, that was the first time. On Friday evening when I shot the video everything fell into place, the location, the light and the calmness.”
His encounter with the white elk is definite an unforgettable experience. He said, “It was an experience to meet such a stately animal up close.”
The Local reported that Hinson is the second person who spotted the white elk in Sweden this summer. Jessica Hemlin also captured a photograph of the rare animal at her back garden in Munkedal, western Sweden in July. “It’s really special. It’s a powerful feeling,” she said to The Local at the time.
White elks exists because of two possible reasons: albanism,and leucism. Albanism is a genetic disorder that results to little or no production of the pigment melanin. Leucisn happens when lower than normal amount of pigments are produced but the normal skin, fur, feather patterns, or textures remain.
In the United States, the Ox Ranch in Texas is offering hunting for white elk, which has an estimated population of 200. The Ox Ranch indicated in its website that August is the best time of the year to hunt for white elk. September to February is the best time to catch hard antlered white elk.
- Injured hawk seeks refuge inside taxi as Hurricane Harvey hits Texas - August 28, 2017
- Baby hippo Fiona stars on Cincinnati Zoo’s video series on Facebook - August 25, 2017
- California distillery makes vodka from food waste - August 24, 2017
- Trump-shaped Ecstasy tablets seized by German Police - August 23, 2017
- Diamond rain occurs in Uranus and Neptune says scientists - August 21, 2017
- Woman stuck in swimming pool rescued by Facebook group - August 19, 2017
- Time Traveler: a record-breaking roller coaster to open in Missouri in 2018 - August 18, 2017
- Audrey Hepburn survives starvation in World War II eating tulip bulbs - August 17, 2017
- Diamond engagement ring lost for 13 years found on a garden carrot - August 17, 2017
- Motorcycle enthusiast produces gin using vintage Harley-Davidson parts - August 16, 2017