You’re probably one of the millions of people who like to exercise with their pet. Some individuals walk or run with their dogs or ride a horse while others do yoga with their cats. Have you seen a person working out with tropical birds like parrots? You’ll probably say not yet. Well, a man in Yuba City, Northern California developed a new workout called AverXise involving exotic parrots.
In a recent interview with ABC 10, Kenneth Du, an avid marathon runner explained that AverXise is exercising, running, and training with tropical birds.
Du owns a number of birds including three Macaw parrots that exercise with him regularly. He coined the term AverXise (from aviary and exercise) a few years ago to combine his love for birds and running. His Macaw parrots help him stay in shape and healthy as well as create new workouts.
When exercising with his Macaw parrots named Care and Hope, Du wears thick leather gloves for protection from their claws. He also attaches a special harness to the chest of the birds to prevent them from flying away.
Du and his parrots warm up by walking from his house to the Regency Park located at the north part of Yuba City. He said, “At first, when I ran with them, I got very tired.”
ABC 10’s John Bartell noted that there are lots of repetitions when Du does his AverXise. He lifts the parrots up and down like weights. He lifts the parrots above his head and drops them in his arms—prompting them to spread their wings.
Once the parrots are warmed up, Du extends his arms out and tells Care and Hope to fly. The parrots obey his command and fly. Du also runs around the park as the parrots pull him forward by their leash.
Du admitted that he attracts people’s attention while doing his AverXise. He said, “I do get a lot of looks” and hopes to encourage people to do the same. He said, “I believe Averxising can be a healthy sport for a wide age range.”
He is already known in Yuba City as the Bird Man.
- Injured hawk seeks refuge inside taxi as Hurricane Harvey hits Texas - August 28, 2017
- Baby hippo Fiona stars on Cincinnati Zoo’s video series on Facebook - August 25, 2017
- California distillery makes vodka from food waste - August 24, 2017
- Trump-shaped Ecstasy tablets seized by German Police - August 23, 2017
- Diamond rain occurs in Uranus and Neptune says scientists - August 21, 2017
- Woman stuck in swimming pool rescued by Facebook group - August 19, 2017
- Time Traveler: a record-breaking roller coaster to open in Missouri in 2018 - August 18, 2017
- Audrey Hepburn survives starvation in World War II eating tulip bulbs - August 17, 2017
- Diamond engagement ring lost for 13 years found on a garden carrot - August 17, 2017
- Motorcycle enthusiast produces gin using vintage Harley-Davidson parts - August 16, 2017