Japanese Foreign Affairs Minister Fumio Kishida asked Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen (PPAP) singer Daimaou Kosaka popularly known as Pikotaro to help promote the sustainable development goals (SDGs) the United Nations (UN).
Pikotaro accepted the request of Minister Kishida. He will attend the reception and on the sidelines of the political forum on SDGs at U.N. headquarters in New York in middle of July, according to an official at Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen singer appears unconvinced at first and half-jokingly asked Minister Kishida if he was sure about his invitation. He asked, “Do you mean the U.N., one that is in New York? Me? Are you sure?” Minister Kishida reassured him that he will be performing the new version of the PPAP song at a reception to be hosted by the Japanese government, according to the AP.
Pikotaro sporting his trademark leopard-lizard design outfit, recently released a video on YouTube promoting the U.N. SDGs to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for everyone. He updated the lyrics of his hit song PPAP to stand for “Public-Private Action for Partnership.
The Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen singer said he is happy to accept his role and will do his best to promote the SDGs. “Something easy that encourages people to watch and follow example,” said Pikotaro.
Minister Kishida explained that he needs someone to increase awareness for the project. He said, “Piko Taro san’s popularity would be extremely effective to boost public recognition.”
Pikotaro’s Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen song became very popular around the world last year, and gained recognition as the shortest song to enter the Billboard Hot
In 2016, the little-known Japanese comedian’s “Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen” video gained global popularity. The Guinness World Records recognized it as the shortest song to enter the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- Apollo 11 lunar sample return bag used by Neil Armstrong sells for $1.8M - July 20, 2017
- Coffee company recalls product with traces of Viagra-like substance - July 20, 2017
- Deadpool actor Ryan Reynolds granted a dying boy’s greatest wish - July 20, 2017
- Milan bans selfie stick and other anti-social behaviors this summer - July 20, 2017
- The Earth is heading toward a plastic planet says ecologist - July 19, 2017
- Chinese woman caught smuggling 102 iPhones strapped to her body - July 19, 2017
- Angelica Hale: 9-year-old kidney transplant survivor earns golden buzzer on America’s Got Talent - July 19, 2017
- Madonna seeks to stop auction of her highly personal items, DNA - July 18, 2017
- Sony Pictures achieves record for largest gathering of people dressed as emoji faces - July 18, 2017
- Finland sets new record for the world’s largest number of naked swimmers - July 18, 2017