How’s this for a marital spat – Prince Henrik of Denmark is pretty adamant not to be buried next to his wife, Queen Margrethe, over the refusal to name him king.
The refusal stems from the fact that the 83-year-old prince has been unhappy for quite some time – since the royal couple’s marriage 1967, to be precise, with his title – prince consort, as opposed to king consort.
“It is no secret that the prince for many years has been unhappy with his role and the title he has been awarded in the Danish monarchy,” the palace’s communications chief, Lene Balleby, told Danish tabloid BT.
“This discontent has grown more and more in recent years. For the prince, the decision not to buried beside the queen is the natural consequence of not having been treated equally to his spouse — by not having the title and role he has desired,” she added.
According to Balleby, the decision has been accepted by the queen.
A statement published by the Royal House said that “the Queen has for some time been familiar with the decision of His Royal Highness and acknowledges the decision.” It also rejects the claims that Prince Henrik will be buried in his native France. Instead, he will be laid to rest in Denmark at the appropriate time, although not in Roskilde Cathedral as it had been previously planned. The prince was born Henri Marie Jean André de Laborde de Monpezat in France in 1934. He retired from public life last year and has two sons with the reigning queen.
- Navy destroyer USS John S. McCain collides with oil tanker, 10 sailors missing - August 21, 2017
- German man swims to work to avoid traffic congestion - August 10, 2017
- Saudi Arabia jails singer for dabbing during concert - August 9, 2017
- South Carolina police issues a plea to residents not to shoot Bigfoot - August 9, 2017
- Man disguises himself as car seat, pretends to be ‘self-driving car’ - August 8, 2017
- Irish MP blames fairy curse for problems with road - August 8, 2017
- Chinese restaurant gives discounts based on bra size - August 8, 2017
- Airport offers service for transporting maids to employers’ doors - August 7, 2017
- Airbnb refuses to provide accommodation for Nazis - August 7, 2017
- Prince of Denmark refuses to be buried by his wife due to title row - August 4, 2017