Lucasfilm wants to continue the spirit of the sage started by George Lucas
Ron Howard will take over as director of the untitled Hans Solo movie, according to the announcement of Lucasfilm on the Starwars.com website on Thursday.
The film and television production company originally Phil Lord and Christopher Miller to direct the untitled Hans Solo movie, but decided to part ways due to creative differences.
“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew,” said directors Lord and Miller in a statement earlier this week.
Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in statement today that their “highest goal for every film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began forty years ago.”
They decided to hire Ron Howard to assume the directorial duties to keep their goal for the untitled Han Solo movie.
The film and television production company noted that Ron Howard made some of the biggest hits and most critically-acclaimed movies of the modern era including Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, which won four Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director). He also directed the Willow, The Da Vinci Code, and Rush.
Ron Howard also narrated and produced the beloved comedy series Arrested Development, and starred in George Lucas’ American Graffiti. He also remains a TV icon for his roles in The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days.
Lucas film said the untitled Hans Solo movie has a wonderful script and an incredible cast and crew, and absolute commitment to make a great movie. The television and production company will continue filming under the direction of Ron Howard on July 10.
Alden Ehrenreich plays the character of the iconic space smuggler, Hans Solo, which was played by Harrison Ford in the Star Wars movies.
Other actors in the movie include Donald Grover, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Thandie Newton, and Michael K. Williams.
The still untitled film explores the adventures of Hans Solo and his life-long partner Chewbacca before the events of Star Wars: A New Hope including their early encounters with Lando Calrissian, the card-playing rogue from a galaxy far, far away.
The untitled Hans Solo movie is still scheduled for release on May 25, 2018.
- Apollo 11 lunar sample return bag used by Neil Armstrong sells for $1.8M - July 20, 2017
- Coffee company recalls product with traces of Viagra-like substance - July 20, 2017
- Deadpool actor Ryan Reynolds granted a dying boy’s greatest wish - July 20, 2017
- Milan bans selfie stick and other anti-social behaviors this summer - July 20, 2017
- The Earth is heading toward a plastic planet says ecologist - July 19, 2017
- Chinese woman caught smuggling 102 iPhones strapped to her body - July 19, 2017
- Angelica Hale: 9-year-old kidney transplant survivor earns golden buzzer on America’s Got Talent - July 19, 2017
- Madonna seeks to stop auction of her highly personal items, DNA - July 18, 2017
- Sony Pictures achieves record for largest gathering of people dressed as emoji faces - July 18, 2017
- Finland sets new record for the world’s largest number of naked swimmers - July 18, 2017