Lucasfilm wants to continue the spirit of the sage started by George Lucas
Ron Howard will take over as director of the untitled Hans Solo movie, according to the announcement of Lucasfilm on the Starwars.com website on Thursday.
The film and television production company originally Phil Lord and Christopher Miller to direct the untitled Hans Solo movie, but decided to part ways due to creative differences.
“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew,” said directors Lord and Miller in a statement earlier this week.
Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in statement today that their “highest goal for every film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began forty years ago.”
They decided to hire Ron Howard to assume the directorial duties to keep their goal for the untitled Han Solo movie.
The film and television production company noted that Ron Howard made some of the biggest hits and most critically-acclaimed movies of the modern era including Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, which won four Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director). He also directed the Willow, The Da Vinci Code, and Rush.
Ron Howard also narrated and produced the beloved comedy series Arrested Development, and starred in George Lucas’ American Graffiti. He also remains a TV icon for his roles in The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days.
Lucas film said the untitled Hans Solo movie has a wonderful script and an incredible cast and crew, and absolute commitment to make a great movie. The television and production company will continue filming under the direction of Ron Howard on July 10.
Alden Ehrenreich plays the character of the iconic space smuggler, Hans Solo, which was played by Harrison Ford in the Star Wars movies.
Other actors in the movie include Donald Grover, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Thandie Newton, and Michael K. Williams.
The still untitled film explores the adventures of Hans Solo and his life-long partner Chewbacca before the events of Star Wars: A New Hope including their early encounters with Lando Calrissian, the card-playing rogue from a galaxy far, far away.
The untitled Hans Solo movie is still scheduled for release on May 25, 2018.
- Injured hawk seeks refuge inside taxi as Hurricane Harvey hits Texas - August 28, 2017
- Baby hippo Fiona stars on Cincinnati Zoo’s video series on Facebook - August 25, 2017
- California distillery makes vodka from food waste - August 24, 2017
- Trump-shaped Ecstasy tablets seized by German Police - August 23, 2017
- Diamond rain occurs in Uranus and Neptune says scientists - August 21, 2017
- Woman stuck in swimming pool rescued by Facebook group - August 19, 2017
- Time Traveler: a record-breaking roller coaster to open in Missouri in 2018 - August 18, 2017
- Audrey Hepburn survives starvation in World War II eating tulip bulbs - August 17, 2017
- Diamond engagement ring lost for 13 years found on a garden carrot - August 17, 2017
- Motorcycle enthusiast produces gin using vintage Harley-Davidson parts - August 16, 2017