Academy Award Winner Russell Crowe was among the celebrities who responded to the request of a dad to send birthday greetings to his son, whose spirit was broken by a bully.
Christopher Hope-Smith, the father of the bullied school boy from Leeds northern England, asked on Twitter if anyone knows a famous person who could tweet positive messages to his son Ollie on his 9th birthday on July 5. He admitted that his request is strange, but explained that a bully keeps telling Ollie that his birthday “won’t be as good as his own.”
Ollie has been suffering from bullying for more than a year now and he is starting to think that he is insignificant. The father wanted his son to know that he means something and bullying is not right. His tweet went viral and within minutes Ollie received warm greetings from famous people.
Gladiator actor Russell Crowe tweeted, “Hey Ollie, heard it was your birthday, 9 years old eh? Congratulations, Happy Birthday!!”
British grime and hip hop artist Stormzy told Ollie that he is a “lil legend” and advised him not to watch the bullies because they “always end up being the biggest wastemen later in life.”
Astronaut Tim Peake responded by encouraging Ollie to dream big. He tweeted, “Hope your 9th birthday is out of this world Ollie. Just remember – a bully is a person too scared to do the right thing. Aim high dude!”
Eric Keyes, the designer of the Simpsons character sent a message with a personalized drawing of Bart Simpson. He wrote, “Happy Birthday Ollie from a guy on @TheSimpsons who’s not quite famous but draws a kid who is =) I hope you have an AWESOME day!”
Other celebrities who send warm greetings to Ollie include actress and comedian Dawn French, comedian Jason Manford, BBC news presenter Ricky Boleto, broadcaster Sara Cox, and many more. The general public also sent Ollie messages of support.
Ollie’s mother, Natalie Hope-Smith expressed gratitude to everyone for their great support, by writing on her husband’s Twitter account. She wrote, “I am completely overwhelmed by everyone’s kind thoughts.”
“You do not know what this means to me and will to Ollie when we show him. I have been battling with this matter for over a year and am only just now being listened to.”
“It is heartbreaking listening to an 8 year old think that he is worthless and ‘shouldn’t be here’.
“I know that we are definitely not the only ones going through this but I just want to say, from the bottom of my heart, ‘Thank You’ so much. You really don’t know what this means. Natalie xx”
- Injured hawk seeks refuge inside taxi as Hurricane Harvey hits Texas - August 28, 2017
- Baby hippo Fiona stars on Cincinnati Zoo’s video series on Facebook - August 25, 2017
- California distillery makes vodka from food waste - August 24, 2017
- Trump-shaped Ecstasy tablets seized by German Police - August 23, 2017
- Diamond rain occurs in Uranus and Neptune says scientists - August 21, 2017
- Woman stuck in swimming pool rescued by Facebook group - August 19, 2017
- Time Traveler: a record-breaking roller coaster to open in Missouri in 2018 - August 18, 2017
- Audrey Hepburn survives starvation in World War II eating tulip bulbs - August 17, 2017
- Diamond engagement ring lost for 13 years found on a garden carrot - August 17, 2017
- Motorcycle enthusiast produces gin using vintage Harley-Davidson parts - August 16, 2017