A squirrel is cute but sometimes causes big trouble not just for one person, but to a lot of people because it goes to certain places where it does not belong such as power transmission lines.
An emergency crew responded to a call at a cheese factory in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada at 9:00 o’clock in the morning on Tuesday. They discovered a hydro pole on fire.
B.C. Hydro, the electric utility company in the province said a squirrel chewed through a piece of equipment that started the blaze on the hydro pole.
The emergency crew was composed of five fire trucks and 15 firefighters. The power line was still active when they responded, which made it difficult for them to stop the fire directly.
The firefighters deflected water and foam off the factory wall and kept the fire under control for about 20 minutes with broken streams to prevent electricity from conducting back to their hoses.
The fire damaged the main power line. Around 170 residents in Burnaby suffered power outage. The cheese factory had the biggest misfortune as 82,000 liters or 21,662 gallons of milk were spoiled. It took 12 hours for the electric utility company to restore power in the area.
“There was a powerline that ran down along the exterior of the pole into the ground and then into the cheese factory only about 30 or 40 feet away. It was a main powerline servicing that building, “said assistant fire Chief Laine Zimmermann to Burnaby Now.
On the other hand, Kathy Scardillo, the administrator of the cheese factory said, “It was in the vats to make cheese.”
The cheese factory rented generators to prevent cheese spoilage. It expects to lose about a week of production disposing of the spoiled milk and cleaning up.
Last month, a squirrel caused a widespread power outage that affected more than 45,000 people in central San Diego.
- Injured hawk seeks refuge inside taxi as Hurricane Harvey hits Texas - August 28, 2017
- Baby hippo Fiona stars on Cincinnati Zoo’s video series on Facebook - August 25, 2017
- California distillery makes vodka from food waste - August 24, 2017
- Trump-shaped Ecstasy tablets seized by German Police - August 23, 2017
- Diamond rain occurs in Uranus and Neptune says scientists - August 21, 2017
- Woman stuck in swimming pool rescued by Facebook group - August 19, 2017
- Time Traveler: a record-breaking roller coaster to open in Missouri in 2018 - August 18, 2017
- Audrey Hepburn survives starvation in World War II eating tulip bulbs - August 17, 2017
- Diamond engagement ring lost for 13 years found on a garden carrot - August 17, 2017
- Motorcycle enthusiast produces gin using vintage Harley-Davidson parts - August 16, 2017