Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) announced that it is recalling 53,000 Model S and Model X vehicles globally after discovering a potential manufacturing issue with the electric parking brakes.
The electric car manufacturer estimated that less than 5% of the vehicle being recalled may be affected by the problem. Its decision to recall thousands of Model S and Model X cars was “out of an abundance of caution” and explained that it is “difficult to tell which vehicles are affected” because of the design of the gear.
Tesla said, “We do not believe this issue could ever lead to a safety concern for our customers, and we have not seen a single accident or injury relating to it.”
The company said it replace the electric parking brakes installed on the recalled Model S and Model V vehicles to make sure that no problems will arise.
Tesla found the electric parking brakes installed on its electric vehicles were produced between February and October 16 and ‘may contain a small gear that could have been manufactured improperly” by its third-party supplier. The electric car manufacturer explained if the gear breaks, the parking brake could keep the car from moving, but would then be stuck in place.
Tesla said the issue has no impact on the cars’ regular braking system
According to the company, it has not received any reports regarding its parking brake system failing to hold a park vehicle or failing to stop a vehicle in an emergency. Tesla said the small gear has no impact on the car’s regular braking system.
Owners of the recalled Model S and Model X vehicles will be receiving notifications about the issue and instructions on how to get a replacement for their electric parking brakes. The company said it would only take 45 minutes ti replace the brakes.
Tesla is working closely with its supplier to get replacement parts. The company already started replacing the brakes and expected to have sufficient replacement parts by October 2017.
The stock price of Tesla declined more than 1% to $302.38 per share around 3:11 in the afternoon in New York.
- Injured hawk seeks refuge inside taxi as Hurricane Harvey hits Texas - August 28, 2017
- Baby hippo Fiona stars on Cincinnati Zoo’s video series on Facebook - August 25, 2017
- California distillery makes vodka from food waste - August 24, 2017
- Trump-shaped Ecstasy tablets seized by German Police - August 23, 2017
- Diamond rain occurs in Uranus and Neptune says scientists - August 21, 2017
- Woman stuck in swimming pool rescued by Facebook group - August 19, 2017
- Time Traveler: a record-breaking roller coaster to open in Missouri in 2018 - August 18, 2017
- Audrey Hepburn survives starvation in World War II eating tulip bulbs - August 17, 2017
- Diamond engagement ring lost for 13 years found on a garden carrot - August 17, 2017
- Motorcycle enthusiast produces gin using vintage Harley-Davidson parts - August 16, 2017