Police are currently investigating an incident in Neustadt, Germany, where 20 tons’ worth of the world-famous hazelnut spread Nutella appeared to have been stolen.
According to the German police, an undisclosed number of Nutella jars and Kinder eggs have been stolen in what is considered to be a grand Nutella heist, which took place about 120 kilometers northeast of Frankfurt.
The peculiar incident reportedly happened sometime between Saturday night and midday of Sunday, and authorities are still investigating into details of the incident. Citizens are encouraged to report any suspicious activities that involve chocolates.
In a statement released to the public, the Neustadt Police warned:
“Anyone offered large quantities of chocolate via unconventional channels should report it to the police immediately.”
Investigators suspect that the grand theft possibly involved the use of a trailer truck, considering the volume of Nutella that the thief (or thieves) have stolen from what is assumed to be either a factory or a warehouse for the company.
A separate incident involving the theft of an empty trailer in in nearby Weimar, which occurred during the same weekend as the grand Nutella heist is also being investigated.. Authorities are currently looking into the possibility that the two incidents might be connected.
An undisclosed amount of Kinder eggs were also reportedly stolen in addition to the 20 tons’ worth of Nutella spread. The stolen chocolate goods are valued somewhere between $58,000 to $82,000.
The incident wasn’t the first chocolate-related crime in the country, however. Just last week, police officers found 53g of chocolate that was believed to have been stolen and dumped in Bad Oldesloe, which is located in Germany’s northern state of Schleswig-Holstein.
Peculiar incidents involving the theft of sweet things don’t appear to be isolated in Germany, however. A separate incident in Canada earlier this year involved a man stealing a very large amount of maple syrup that’s worth about $18.7 million. The man was sentenced to eight years in prison.
- Girl Scouts Accuse Boy Scouts of Recruiting Girls Behind Their Backs - September 20, 2017
- Researchers Say Coffee Triggers Cravings for Sweets - September 11, 2017
- Thieves Steal 20 Tons of Nutella in Germany - August 22, 2017
- Study Claims Babies Cry at Night to Prevent Siblings - August 18, 2017
- Armed Robber Leaves Empty-Handed After Pizza Hut Worker Told Him to Wait for Manager - August 17, 2017
- Homeland Security: Conditioning Your Hair After a Nuclear Blast Isn’t a Good Idea - August 16, 2017
- New York Subway Workers Complain Dead Bodies are Being Stored in Their Lunch Room, Bathroom - August 16, 2017
- German Court Finds Syrian Refugee Guilty of Attempting to Con ISIS - August 15, 2017
- Mother Discovers ‘Magical’ Lotion that Can Help Put Babies to Sleep for up to 14 hours - August 15, 2017
- Where is Tom Kenny Now? – News & Updates - January 24, 2017